Check out Audrey's blog to hear about these experiences through her eyes!

www.audreysafricanjourney.blogspot.com

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

We're learning about being flexible - the car should be ready tomorrow


My Friends,
Cameroon is currently warm with a slight breeze. The birds are singing, and Audrey is sitting on the couch listening to Mpumpong recordings and speaking French to herself. David is finishing up his Mpumpong orthography statement (a paper that talks about the language, grammer, and written form of the language), and Henny is doing some quick things over at CABTAL(Cameroon association of Bible translation and literacy). We were planning on being on the road long before now, but the car had some problems with the radiator and a car with overheating problems in the middle of Cameroon on a hot day is not the best for a 12 hour driving adventure.

The last couple of days have been full of information – it seems everyday there are so many new things to learn and remember about the culture, I'm afraid I'll forget them all! (Pray that my memory is really good and I am faithful in writing all the observations down.)

This Saturday I played soccer with a group from a friends church; it was an evengelistic tournament, so they passed out tracts to the team of 'motos' (motorcyclers) that we were playing. We had a great time playing together! (picture below!)

I'm getting quite excited about Yokadouma, though I know it'll be tough. I'm really excited (ok, a little nervous too) to get to know some of the Mpumpong people, to learn about their lives a little bit (as much as language will allow), learn their cooking and just who they are. I'm looking forward to meeting the four people in COCELMPU who I will be helping with their computer skills (There are more than 4 members).

Here are names to keep in your prayers!

Sidonne – the secretary, learning general computer usage
Charelotte – literacy coordinator, learning scribus for publishing
Joseph – a translator (one of three), learning about the translation software
Salvador – the bookkeepper, learning about GnuCash an accounting program.

Keep them in your prayers! Also that I'll be able to communicate with them well, and develop relationships with them that aren't just focused on work, but on learning about God and serving Him with them. That I'll stay open and receptive to learning many things from them. For transition for me and Audrey and we change locations and have to adapt to the village.

Thank you for your prayers – I don't think I've said this enough lately. It's exciting to see God's children in Cameroon!

(Yesterday while running around CTC, I had a couple really good conversations with Cameroonian employees here on the center. Zach, one of the gardners and I talked about the importance of being truly 'born again' and living for Chrst. My friends, I'm falling in love with this country, I wish you could come and see the people going about their days, smell the freshness of the rain, hear the birds singing and taxi horns honking. I wish I could properly convey to you the difficulty of not having God's word in your mother tongue – the difficulty of going to church in French, and the need for this work to happen.)

Until next time, From Yokadouma,

-Andrea


No comments:

Post a Comment